I Twitter!

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Five Question MeMe

These questions were kindly put to me, do you call this a MeMe?, by the lovely and charming Saz who blogs as Fat, frumpy and fifty! I know she's lying, as she's none of those, although her hips apparently tell another tale!

Thank you for being so kind and gentle with me, Saz! Photobucket

1. Why do you blog?


Photobucket As the late, great, Wilde and often wonderful Oscar once said, "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train".

I wish I could feel like that about my blog; I wish I had that interesting a life!

In all honesty, I joined the Blogging World initially to be able to comment on others' interesting blogs, then I felt I might be able to give it a go myself. I thought it would give me something pleasant and creative to do while I am off work with a slipped disc, and it has!

For a while there I felt (and was told by GJ) that my brain was becoming addled, owing to not using it much, other than trawling through the Internet and watching (some, not all!) daytime TV! Photobucket


2. If you could live anywhere in the world for one month where would that be? Why?

Above all, I love Paris - My spiritual home:- The walks, even the convoluted Metro, the charming cafes, good food and drink and the sometimes bizarre pavement life and entertainment!

But it is a city, and therefore busy, so at this very moment I would choose a month in Bayahibe in the Caribbean. My back problem seriously began to trouble me in May last year, (although I have had issues with it for over twenty years, cue the violins, someone?), Photobucket

So, we went 'the whole hog'
Photobucket in the summer, knowing I couldn't do our usual, self-catering, trot around the European pavements, hopping on and off trains, kind of hols, and we booked, three weeks before flying, an 'affordable luxury', all inclusive package, (so it really, honestly, turned out no more expensive than a fortnight's self catering in the Mediterranean), in Bayahibe.
Photobucket

It really does look like this, no camera filters necessary, and it was an idyllic break enjoyed by us all... The hotel was wonderful, the staff were excellent, friendly and beautiful, the beach was white, the sea was velvety, salty and clear, the light was fantastic, the wildlife and fish were interesting, (cheeky birds and little lizards, oh and don't forget the chickens, had the run of the 'open plan' hotel), and it was not crowded out with unruly tourists!

My main bugbear in life is yer archetypal Chavtastic Englishman abroad... Photobucket No offence meant!

So, a month there with GJ and Griz, so they could sail the little catamarans each day, and I could read, swim and just 'be' under a reeded palapa, would set me up jerst fine!

Photobucket

3. If you were invited to a birthday party and asked to give the birthday girl/guy one book you love, which would it be? Why?

My favourite book is Jane Eyre, Jane Eyre  DVD Pictures, Images and Photos ~(Yes, I know that that's the BBC DVD, not the novel), by Charlotte Bronte Photobucket , and I try to read it once each year...

I also love Persuasion by Jane Austen persuasion Pictures, Images and Photos .

However, seeing how most men might react to such a gift in the following way:
OGRE Pictures, Images and Photos,

I would have to temper my choice to the perhaps more unisex, Flaubert's 'Madame Bovary.'
Madame Bovary Pictures, Images and Photos

Flaubert's novel concerns many of the kind of issues that still trouble us today: Thanks to Wiki: The novel focuses on a doctor's wife, Emma Bovary, who has adulterous affairs and lives beyond her means in order to escape the banalities and emptiness of provincial life. Though the basic plot is rather simple, even archetypal, the novel's true art lies in its details and hidden patterns. Flaubert was a notorious perfectionist about his writing and claimed to always be searching for le mot juste (the right word).

4. Tell me two interesting things about yourself that may surprise me.


1. My inner self is a 'Rock Chick', who went off on a world tour with the band, instead of to College, got tattoos (Ok, I have none, but there's still time...) Photobucket, and led a debauched but interesting and ultimately redemptive, life, viz Pamela des Barres, Photobucket who's now very respectable, a retailer of clothes and jew-jaws, and even a woman of the cloth, and she is one of my 'friends' on Myspace! Photobucket

In all actuality, I look as if I have just trawled up from North Shields Fish Quay, where I gut fish for a living! Photobucket Photobucket

2. I seem to be quite good at life coaching, Photobucket one of my friends told me recently - He was about to leave his girlfriend because of some imagined infidelity that he wasn't able to broach with her. In reality, he was afraid of being hurt, having been in that place before and it was easier to 'cut and run', although he hadn't perceived it as that... He asked me to lunch to help him talk things over...

Outcome:
They are getting married this year, and I wish them every, every happiness, I love him to bits for his bravery, but he trots around the office looking like love's young dream, so I have to keep reaching for the bucket! (Seriously, I did say that I wanted to be thanked in his speech, but he wasn't too keen!)

bride n groom Pictures, Images and Photos

5. Describe to me your DREAM meal , company & setting and reasons.


Anything vegetarian, any Mr Darcy, PhotobucketPhotobucket me, Eighteenth/Nineteenth Century setting - Do I need to state my reasons?


Nah, seriously, how impossibly cliched is that, so it would be Steak Frites for the GJ and Griz, Mushroom Omelette for me, (I is a girl of simple tastes, plus it's sometimes difficult to get vegetarian variety a Paris, but that doesn't put me off), French Biere ou un pichet de Vin Rouge, La Fregate restaurant, 30, Avenue Ledru Rollin, Paris - Failing that the Jules Verne Restaurant at the top of the Eiffel Tower - I've never been! Photobucket Reasons: Family is Family and I eat horribly untidily!

Seriously, Fat, Frumpy and Fifty, that was so much fun to do, and yet still took me ages - I loved doing it, thank you so much - If anyone else fancies a go at this - Five Questions of my choice lark - just leave a comment and I shall make it so!

Bless you!

18 comments:

Dumdad said...

I don't do memes but that was fun to read. And I could really do with a break in Bayahibe. Dream on, Dumdad...

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Memes really do take a long time - and I tend to avoid them. BUT whenever I do one I find myself writing about things I had never considered. So they are actually a pretty good writing exercise. They're also kind of fun to read. And you add pictures to yours!

Tim Atkinson said...

Fascination answers - you realise that could be the outline for the next 'Bridget Jones', don't you? I'd get writing, quick.

PS: If Flaubert was such a perfectionist, why do Emma Bovary's eyes change colour half-way through?

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Dumdad, you are such a bona fide, veritable professional writer you probably never need writing prompts - damn you! Bayahibe felt like a little bit of paradise, and that kind of beach-based holiday was so unlike us as a family, but I would return tomorrow, apart from the flying cattle-class with Thomson part!

Kate, thank you for checking me out - your blog is very beautiful, thought-provoking and artistic, to say the least...

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Ooh, Dotty, I never knew that about Emma! Were the eyes supposed to change because of her inner turmoil, adultery, passion, do you think?

Re Bridget Jones, I do have the knickers for it!

Diane said...

I'd totally take your blog on the train. Totally.

Stinking Billy said...

Fhina, I'm with Diane, there. All the way to the Smoke and back. Great blog, our kid. x

Saz said...

Great answers and so embellished, the pics really add to the post too!! I'm with you on the books, Paris of course(read my post 'A sense of belonging' in November to get why!)

how weird is it we are drawn to people that have some similar threads, weaving in and out......Mmmmm

glad you enjoyed this..thanks

auntiegwen said...

Ooh, I could have your life ! It sounds like something I would pick for myself. Fab answers and much kudos for the photos, I love the Bay a whatsist ones, it looks bliss !

Diane said...

Oh, PS... it is called a Meme. I looked it up the first time I got one, as I had no clue. Of course, now I can't remember the exact definition but it was something about imparting information. I always say it means, 'Let me tell you about MeMeMeMeMe!!!' ;)

Fifi Flowers said...

1. Blogging allows me to share my paintings with EVERYONE!
2. Paris, of course!
3. Shadow of the Wind... GREAT book!
4. I am a procrastinator and I am never without mascara!
5. You have to Mr. Darcys... perhaps you could give me Colin and we could double date... the Paris restaurant sounds perfect!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Dearest Fi, unfortunately I am unable to comply with your request regarding Mr Firth, for I do have a sense of decorum viz what might be perceived by some as my cradle-robbing re Mr McFadyen!!!

I do love your paintings Fifi, and they would go down a storm on those little green book and art stalls beside the Seine on our sojourn in Paris, I am certain! Welcome along and thank you for offering your 5 responses to Saz's fab questions!

French Fancy... said...

I love reading memes like this. Your blog is just my cup of tea.

Re Madam B's eyes changing colour - I must check out what good old Julian Barnes says about it in his book on Flaubert. I know he mentioned it but I can't recall the explanation. Our little library is only the next door room to where I am now (in the dining room) but if I leave this room I'll have to go to the kitchen and carry on with making lunch. So I'll just sit here for a while longer.

Clippy Mat said...

i am in awe of your posts. how long does it take you to put them together and how do you line all your pics up?
i put more than one and the whole thing gets screwed up.
i think yours is hilarious by the way.
:-)

Jinksy said...

Very entertaining post, but if I was given more subjects to write about, I'd have to eat, drink and sleep in front of the computer to cram the resulting avalanche of words into the day!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Clipstress, I am a bit immobile at the mo' with a slipped disc - I should do more, but an MRI Scan gave me a bit of a fright - so I do sit too long at the computer, well slouch to be exact, as it's a comfortable position - It probably takes me a couple of hours to put the piece together. I use my albums on Photobucket (using other people's available images), and it's a bit hit and miss re the sizing, as some of them do get cut up - I try to go for small or tall and thin ones!

Dear French Fancy, I am delighted to have you among us - I do love your lovely blog and images, and I have taken such inspiration from the wonders of your blog, among others noted here, which are awe-inspiring, seriously...

As to FF and Jinks - Eating, drinking and (in my case just this morning) sleeping before the computer is what we do, isn't it?!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea behind the meme or challenge, and your answers and fab. pictures? Wouldn't mind having a go if I had a lengthy time limit.

Ms. Sabrina, Ms. Amy, and Ms. Monica said...

I would love to answer any five questions you can come up with! For the record...Jane Eyre is my favorite book of all time. I have read it at least one time every year since I was a freshman in high school!

Something I wrote earlier...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin