I Twitter!

Thursday 11 June 2009

Maggie May...A Long Way from Lime Street...

Cerridwen Pictures, Images and Photos



"This song is about the woman who deflowered Stewart when he was 16. In the January, 2007 issue of Q magazine, Stewart said: "Maggie May was more or less a true story, about the first woman I had sex with, at the Beaulieu Jazz Festival. It nearly got left off because the label said it didn't have a melody. I said, 'Well, we've run out of time now, these are all the tracks we've recorded. They said, Alright, then, bring it on.

"The name "Maggie May" does not occur in the song, Rod borrowed the title from a Liverpool Folk song about a Lime street prostitute". Note the link to Liverpool, mes bloggy beauties! Amazing, non?!

"Stewart's record company didn't think this was a hit, so they released it as the B-side of "Reason To Believe." Disc jockeys liked this better, so they played it as the single instead.

"This became a huge hit in England and America. Stewart had a following in England as a member of The Faces, but was mostly unknown in the US.

"Stewart was the lead singer of The Faces when this was released. He put out solo albums while he was with the band because of contract obligations. When this became a hit, Faces shows were billed as "The Faces with Rod Stewart." He became the focus of the group.

"Stewart moved to America a few years after this came out. He was doing very well there, but also wanted to avoid the huge taxes England charged high-income entertainers. This was around the same time The Rolling Stones left England for tax reasons. Their album Exile On Main Street is a reference to their "tax exile" status.

The Beatles Pictures, Images and Photos

David from Texas said, "A truly great song. Taxes were harsh in England at the time. The Beatles "Taxman" says it all, "should five percent appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all." Just imagine only keeping a nickle from every dollar you make". Liverpool again, ker-ching!

"In 2003, Ray Jackson (of Lindisfarne, keep up, you lot!), who played mandolin on this, sued Stewart for royalties. Jackson claimed he was paid a small sum for the session and never made any more when the song became a hit". Of course, Rod is a great man, and yet he's also very well known in the industry for being tight with his money, as many a Scot is renowned to be...

"In October 1971 Stewart became the first artist in history to hold all four #1 positions in the British and American singles and albums charts. While "Maggie May" topped the singles tally in both territories, Every Picture Tells A Story achieved the same feat on the album charts".

Linkie

Did you know that Rod started out his career as a grave-digger? And, if you ever get the chance, please have a listen to him singing the guide vocal on the band, Python Lee Jackson's In A Broken Dream... Shows what Rod might have done with his great voice and his career, had he not discovered an easier path in leopard-skin spandex pants, rooster-stylee haircuts, serial leggy blondes and pop...

rod stewart Pictures, Images and Photos

La Wiki told me this, "In reference to his many relationships, Rod Stewart was once quoted as saying, "Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.""

My hand is up, Mr Stewart - I'll even take Kimberley in hand for you!

ROD Pictures, Images and Photos

13 comments:

Dumdad said...

This all brings back fond pop memories especially Python Lee Jackson's In A Broken Dream - great single.

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

Never realized that Maggie "May" never appeared in the song.

Unknown said...

Now, Fhina, as a Yorkshireman living in Scotland I'd say money is a very touchy subject!! Wouldn't mind just having a smidgin of the royalties from Maggie May!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Love the raspy quality of his voice...sold out or not he filled my young girl imagination about what an 'English' man was like (didn't know he was Scot)...and he certainly could wear the open collar with a tan look to perfection. Don't you think so, Ms Fhina? <3

Jinksy said...

Afraid I always want to get at Rod Stewart with an oil can...

Rosaria Williams said...

Did he always have such a voice?

Saz said...

I played the small faces to death when I were a girl, I preferred Reason to be believe like I preferred Life's a gas by Trex on their jeepster 45....
you are pressing all my buttons today..
Python lee jackson's I a broken dream would be one of my top 20 ever!!

great post....as usual...
miss seeing you so regularly...

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Dumdad: Glad you liked it, Sir! In A Broken Dream is such a fabulous track, non?!

Liz, my darling, I never noticed that either! :) x

Derrick: I know, I know, Sir! I didn't mean darling you, I promise! ;) Smidgen is such a wondrous word, non?! x

Cynthia: Bless you, sweet Cynthia... I think he loves being half Scottis,h, although he is, in reality, far from it in real life, despite the fact that he follows the Celtic Rangers! x

Jinksy: You always make me laugh, my darling Jinksy! Thank you so! xx

Rosaria: I think his voice was once very wonderful, my dear dove x

Fat, frumpy and fifty: I've missed you too, my precious Saz - I have felt too, too long away... in spite of enjoying life and my course and Liverpool, I have been back to feeling like that rat on the wheel again! I tried to text you on my return last night, but lost the text - I really need to get a new 'phone! Shall try to text better this weekend! Love to you, my sis' xxx

ArtistUnplugged said...

Yea, I know this artist!!!! I even know that he was once a grave digger! I hope you are enjoying your dip in Liverpool. Love ya like a sister.....

A Woman Of No Importance said...

AU: Loving you more than a sister, my darling - Will see you soon, this weekend! xxx

Carma Sez said...

He's got a good sense of humor about just buying the next woman a house! Heard him singing at the A.I. finale and he wasn't sounding too good unfortunately!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Carma, I missed the AI final - He does appear to have got croakier with the years... I wonder if he ever got voice training? My best to you! x

blognut said...

I grew up on Rod Stewart's music - my mom always had a thing for him and his spandex pants, I think.

(Now I'm going to have this song in my head all night! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!)

Bloggus
XXOOXX

Something I wrote earlier...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin