I Twitter!

Monday 5 October 2009

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

charles rennie mackintosh Arts & Crafts Pictures, Images and Photos

I live in a vaguely (although not very characterful, it was a shoddily built Mineral Seam Miner's 'two up two down' cottage after all!) Arts and Crafts house...

And I've always loved the work, architectural and creative, of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, as well as his wife, Margaret MacDonald and that of her sister, who's name is lost to me for today, I'm afraid...

Charles Rennie Mackintosh Pictures, Images and Photos

So, three tiny pencil drawings which Mr Mackintosh captured swiftly while he was on a sojourn on my beloved Holy Island adorn the chimney breast of my cottage...

Two sketches detail types of small worts and spindly flowers that flourish by the coast there today... The central drawing shows the back of Lindisfarne Castle, where it faces the North Sea, with a dodgy hand-rail picked out in the green that still colours it today, and a small clump of rock-clinging flowers tinted rose-pink...

I also have a few glass lampshades scattered about the place with rose-hued Mackintosh-esque roses thereupon...

Lindisfarne castle wall Pictures, Images and Photos

I bought these images while on an idyllic stay on Holy Island with all my family, that is my parents, husband and infant son in 1995... They are very dear to me, and I've not seen these pictures really anywhere else...

I consider myself very lucky to have them in my life, depicting a time when we were all together, enjoying the island without so many tourists, once it is cut off by the rising tide from the mainland, and my wild small son roamed free in the little yellow and black go-kart we carted all the way up there with us, squished in the trunk of the family car!

Lindisfarne Castle Pictures, Images and Photos

5 comments:

Liz Wilkey (a.k.a. A Mom on Spin) said...

OH to step inside your little corner of the world. . .

Jinksy said...

That showed parental dedication - packing a go-kart in a car boot!

Tom Bailey said...

I connected to your blog through another blog

Your quote about the broken watch being right twice a day is a quote that I use in real life so it caused me to review your blog further.

The last picture reminds me of something that would have a moat around it.

Suldog said...

Fascinating. MY WIFE is also a fan of Mackintosh, and I have become one due to her.

Black Russian said...

Margaret MacDonald's sister is called Frances MacDonald! I love their work, and makes me incredibly sad and angry when I see works which are pure Margaret with Charles' name on it. She deserves just as much recognition as he does! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about them.

Something I wrote earlier...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin