Sunday, 4 October 2009
Potassium hydroxide is extremely dangerous to breathe and fatal to eat. It causes deep ulcers if it touches the skin and irreversible damage if it gets in the eyes. It is widely used to wash fruit and vegetables; in the manufacture of chocolate, ice cream, caramel, soft drinks, paper and textiles; to form a skin on pretzels before baking; and as a wart-remover. It is also used by vets for disbudding calves horns and for dissolving scales and hair and is a common ingredient of washing powder, denture cleaner, detergent, drain cleaners and soap.
Never was anything great achieved without danger.