I Twitter!

Monday 28 November 2011

Meme...

This week I began, for the first time, to counsel on two days a week.   It feels as if I am going in a direction of travel;   Towards my new career.   I hope so.

This work, in a rural GPs' surgery, is unpaid.   I volunteer to do it.   I love it.   I hope, in time, once I am qualified, it will bring me a little bit of income.   I cross my fingers and my eyes and make a wish!

Poof!   The dry ice smoke lifts and my life is transformed at once.   I am in work, being paid for it and full of a sense of my own purpose once more.   Losing my job as I did was a blow to my self-esteem and confidence, sans doute.

I struggled for a time with who I was without a 9 to 5 to define me.   I was proud of the job I did, the career I had.   I felt it was a worthwhile thing to be occupied doing.   I was close to the chalk-face, making a difference to people's lives, helping them out of deprivation, creating a small impact on the region's child poverty levels.

Now I make a difference in a different way.   While we live in a different world, one that seems as if it is cracking at the seams, where our current politicians couldn't give a flying kipper's fart for us.

I hope, in time, to run together my counselling work with my little casual job as a marriage celebrant.

Next Saturday I shall don my civilized black suit, black heels and a white blouse.   I shall straighten my wavy hair, so Boho, you know!   I shall marry a couple I've never met.   I shall smile at their guests and beckon them in to the large room.   I will essay to calm their jittery nerves, to reassure them that they won't be tripped up by their vows, I shall talk them through the process and answer any questions they have.

Only last week a beautiful bride suffered 'a wardrobe malfunction' according to her smiling groom.   The zip of her divine long purple dress had broken while she travelled by car to the venue and she was in the ladies' toilet being safety-pinned together by her bridesmaids.   Thankfully, given the season, she had a cream fake fur shrug for warmth.   Slung artfully across her shoulders, it drew her guests' attention away from the hasty repairs.   Theirs was a beautiful ceremony.   They were gorgeous and so in love, so happy.

And so I sit at both ends of the spectrum.   Right at the start of joyous married-life plans, and where it all begins to unravel for some people and they feel anxious, depressed, sad, overwhelmed, fearful and frightened.

I see it all.   It sees me.   I am proud of myself.   I quieten my own fears therein...

For a while.

Have a fun-filled week, mes bloggy chums.   Watch out for the snows.   Please know that I care about you and thank you for spending time reading my rubbish!   Here's a picture of the inside of my mind to keep you playful today!


13 comments:

GB said...

A fascinating insight into a view of life from two perspectives. You're doing good (as they say in Kiwiland).

Chairman Bill said...

Tell the people who you are about to marry the key words to a long lasting relationship; "Yes dear."

hausfrau said...

Your mind looks alarmingly trendy co-ordinated and organised: well done!

Vix said...

I wish the inside of my mind looked that good!
Have a brilliant week and hope it all goes well for you, my dear friend. x

Expat mum said...

You will make it; I've just seen my sister do it. And you know where I am if you need any help from her! x

BadPenny said...

You wrote that beautifully. Good luck x

Nat said...

All sounds very exciting... good luck with your ventures!

Sueann said...

I love the inside of your mind!! Ha!
How wonderful to be there at the beginning of married life. What a blessing!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Sandi McBride said...

You are really putting your toes in the water now! Don't pull back from the chill, it'll warm up quick enough! Your mind looks very imaginative and that's a good thing for people like us, lol1
Sandi

Moannie said...

I had not realised that you marry people..how totally brilliant is that...and then you get to counsel. You are one smart lady...got it covered-yet a woman of no importance. I think not.

Suldog said...

"... a flying kipper's fart..."

Wonderful turn of phrase that I've never before heard. Is it original, or well-used across the pond and I've just never encountered it before? In any case, memorable.

Anonymous said...

We feel that we are heading in the right direction, if rather slowly at times. My wife's academic work is a little on hold at the moment, but she is clocking up the contact hours, counselling two or three days a week. She is certainly making a big difference to people's lives, and we're getting glimpses of what our life may be like once all the study is finished.

Keep going!

Anonymous said...

What super news...it's all coming together for you.

SP

Something I wrote earlier...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin